Whether you are picking a floor plan or having a home custom-made, there are few considerations to think about to help you pick the right design. Before you start the process, it is important to consider the needs of your family now and in the future. If you are interested in new construction homes in St. Augustine, FL, keep these tips in mind.
Start With the Basics
First, decide on the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and family areas. Think about the size of the garage you need and entertaining spaces, like a deck or patio.
Next, make a list of the features that are important to you. This needs to include what you want in each room and overall features, like an intercom system or speaker system.
If you already have a lot in mind, keep it in mind when picking a floor plan. Working with a slope, like putting in a walkout basement door, can help with the cost of excavating. Knowing how close neighbors are or might be in the future will help you decide about features that will give more privacy.
Remember the sun and keep in mind that south-facing windows will let in a lot of warmth. Properly placed windows will let in the sunlight that can save energy. If your lot has a great view, like sunsets, put rooms on that side of the house so you can enjoy it.
Think About the Flow
Thinking about the flow can help you with everyday tasks and can save money on building costs.
- Make sure the hallways and doors are wide enough to accommodate moving your furniture
- Plumbing should be close together to minimize building costs
- HVAC systems need to be centrally located for better distribution
- Put the washer and dryer on the same floor as the bedrooms
- The garage and the kitchen should be fairly close to each other
- Light switches should be easy to reach