Many people struggle when choosing the material used for their countertops. What material will look best in my kitchen? Which one will hold us against heat? What is trendy right now? So how do you decide on weather Granite or Quartz is the best choice for your kitchen? Let’s look into the pros and cons of each material and see what is the best material for you.
- Granite is a very hard stone and 100 percent natural. It’s mined from quarries all around the world, cut down to a manageable size, and then polished to a fine finish.
- Quartz is slightly different in that it is not 100 percent natural. Instead, countertops are manufactured using 95 percent ground natural quartz and 5 percent polymer resins.
- Granite comes in many different colors and patterns due to the way it’s formed. The styles and uniqueness are almost limitless when dealing with Granite.
- Quartz over the past few years has exploded in popularity due to the fact that Quartz gives you the look of stone, but also allowing you the ability to the customize the design.
- Granite is a durable material that is resistant to heat and many other kitchen elements. However, due to its porous nature, there can be some staining if spilled liquids are left sitting and damage can be done if the countertop receives a high impact blow.
- Quartz is actually harder than granite and thus, more durable. In fact, quartz is nearly indestructible, and because it isn’t porous like Granite, it’s easy to keep the countertop relatively bacteria-free. Quartz can be damaged with excessive heat, so using heating pads is highly recommended.
- There are many factors to consider when comparing Granite and Quartz. On the surface, it does appear that Quartz is easier to maintain, longer-lasting and easy to customize. However, the cost for Quartz can get pricey depending on the options you choose and the uniqueness of granite remains appealing to many. Budget and specific needs are things to consider when deciding on with Granite and Quartz, but you really can’t go wrong with either one.